Beginning in 2018, The Hollywood Foreign Press Association will make discretionary grants of up to $5,000 to Los Angeles-based foreign language film festivals. There is no deadline for the applications, but applicants must submit their application at least two months before their festival. The sooner the HFPA receives the application, the sooner you will receive a response.
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- The organization must be a nonprofit organization registered with the IRS (501c3)
- Foreign language films must comprise the majority of the Festival’s program
- The organization must have a website
- The festival must screen new films (may include world, North American, West Coast or Los Angeles premieres)
- General Grant Application Form - Film Festivals
- 2-page Proposal Narrative (see below for instructions)
- Copy of your IRS 501c3 determination letter
- Total, itemized budget for the Film Festival for which you are requesting a grant
- The Organization’s last financial statement of income & expenses
- Optional: Up to two supplemental materials either in video form (please provide a Vimeo or YouTube link) or images i(JPG or PDF).
GRANT PROPOSAL NARRATIVE
Prepare a proposal of no more than two pages using at least 12-point font that briefly describes your organization and festival. Please be sure to include answers to the following questions:
- What are the dates of your festival?
- What country/countries are represented by your Festival?
- What do you plan to use the HFPA’s funding for?
- What is expected attendance?
- Where is your Festival held?
- What is the estimated total number of films screened?
- Approximately how many films/programs are shown in the Festival in each category?
- TV Programs
- Other Digital Programming
- Are you a competitive festival? If yes, what is the name and categories of your awards?
- Last year, how many new films/programs did your Festival screen (i.e., films completed in the last two years)?
- Last year, how many retrospective films/programs did your Festival screen (i.e., films completed than three years before the Festival)?
- Describe briefly other programming at your festival (such as master classes, foreign filmmaker forums, and the like).
- Do you charge admission for your Festival’s screenings? If so, how much? Do you give complementary tickets to any groups? If so, which ones?
- Please list your other funders (grantors, individuals, corporations and governments) and the percentage of your budget that they fund.
- Describe briefly the recognition that the HFPA will receive if it contributes to your Festival (Examples: Logo on sponsor reel, printed materials, Festival website & social media; verbal acknowledgement, invitations for HFPA members, etc.)
Submit the grant application and all required and supplemental materials to The Grants Officer – Foreign Language Film Festivals at email@example.com.
You may also send a hard copy of all materials at:
Hollywood Foreign Press Association
Attn: Grants Officer – Foreign Language Film Festivals
P.O. Box 753
149 S. Barrington Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90049-3310